In 2017, the government introduced the Tobacco Products Directive law, making it so vape products containing nicotine can only contain 10ml maximum. Nic Shots and Short Fills were created to allow vapers to add nicotine to their vape without breaking the law. Today I will talk you through how nic shots work in a vape.
What Are Nic Shots?
Nicotine Shots are 10ml concentrated bottles of unflavoured nicotine that you can just add to a larger bottle of nicotine to get your perfect vape. These are not meant to be vaped alone, however, since it is the only part of the package containing nicotine, it is legal since it is 10ml.
What Are Short Fills?
Short Fills are e-liquids containing 0mg of nicotine, supplied in a bottle with enough space to add a nic shot too. Nicotine shots usually allow you to add up to 3mg of nicotine. Short fills are a great, cheap way to avoid wasting many 10ml bottles.
What are the TPD Regulations?
The TPD laws came out in 2017 to keep people safe and let them know about nicotine. The laws stated that a liquid containing nicotine cannot be over 10ml, and the nicotine content cannot be over 20mg/ml. Tanks have to have a capacity of 2ml maximum.
How To Add A Nicotine Shot To The Bottle
Now we know all about what nicotine shots are and why they exist, we need to work out how many nic shots are needed to make 3mg. The math is easy.
For a 100ml short fill, add 2 x 10ml 18mg nic shots to the bottle to make 3mg, since the short fills come in a 120ml bottle, the nic shots make up the other 20ml.
For a 50ml short fill, add 1 x 10ml 18mg nic shot to the bottle to make 3mg, since the short fills come in a 60ml bottle, the nic shots make up the other 10ml.
For a 25ml short fill, add a 5ml (half a 10ml) 18mg nic shots to the bottle to make 3mg, since the short fills come in a 30ml bottle, the nic shots make up the other 5ml.
Feel free to test the e-liquid as you add the nicotine to see which one is best for you
How Much Nicotine Should I Use?
Different nic strengths work for different people. Some people want a lot of nicotine, while others may want very little. These depend on how much you used to smoke. This is our recommendation:
- 0mg/ml - For people who have never smoked before or are wanting to cut nicotine out completely.
- 3mg/ml - For light smokers and people looking to cut down on their nicotine intake.
- 6mg/ml - Good for light to moderate smokers, particularly those who use "light cigarettes".
- 12mg/ml+ - Good for heavy smokers and smokers of unfiltered cigarettes.
How to Mix a Nic Shot?
While mixing sounds easy, there is a clear procedure you must do in order to get your perfect e-liquid.
- Open the short fill bottle and remove the nozzle.
- Open the nic shot and remove the nozzle.
- Pour the nic shot into the bottle.
- Refit the short fill bottle nozzle.
- Breath the bottle by squeezing excess air out and letting new air in.
- Close the bottle and shake until it contains hundreds of bubbles.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Leave it to steep in a dark cupboard for 3 to 6 days while repeating steps 5 and 6 once a day. if you have no time for this, move straight on to step 9.
- Fill your tank and enjoy!
The steeping times vary depending on the flavours. Fruit only flavours are ready pretty much from the day of purchase up till 3 days. Menthol and mint flavours are ready after between 2 days and a week. Tobacco flavours take between a week and two weeks, while creamy flavours can take up to a month to reach perfection.
This is just the basic version of adding nic salts since advanced vapers probably have their own way of doing it.
Now you should know how a nicotine shot works. Be sure to buy our nic shot here! And for now, stay moreish!